New | Artists | Soundtracks | Nu grooves | Rare grooves | DVD | Books | Merchandise | Special Offers | DVD-Offers | All
Ladies to the mike, please!
After a long stint of male dominance during the 70s – with only a few scattered exceptions to prove the rule – the birth of punk manifested the dawn of a new self-confidence: awkward girl bands like The Slits, Au Pairs or German variant Mania D decided to cause a stir in their dick-dominated surroundings. The cliché of the dishwashing female reduced to rearing offspring and shooting the odd admiring glance at her strong breadwinner was about to undergo a radical U-turn – many of the era’s pivotal bands featured women right at the frontline.
Kickstarted by provocative pop actionists like Valie Export in the early 70s, this new feminist attitude was picked up and perpetuated by her musical sisters in mind.
Nevertheless, this compilation does not dwell on the political statements behind the scene’s artistic emancipation, but rather highlights its singers’ newfound musical self-confidence. All tracks featured here simply bristle with untainted, exuberant freshness.
cdhw099 | cd
01. Maximum Joy: Stretch (1981)
02. Ludus: Breaking The Rules (1983)
03. Dorothy: Softness (1980)
04. JaJaJa: Katzrap (1982)
05. Bow Wow Wow: C-30, C-60, C-90 ANDA! (1980)
06. Delta 5: Mind Your Own Business (1980)
07. Slits: I Heard It Through The Grapevine (1979)
08. Rip, Rig and Panic: Storm The Reality Asylum (1982)
09. Anna Domino: Zanna (1988)
10. New Age Steppers: Fade Away (1981)
11. Rip, Rig and Panic: Sunken Love (1982)
12. Nicolle Meyer: Nowhere By Mir (1983)
|• Limited Edition Fluorescent Two-Colour Digipak|
|• Liner notes by Vivien Goldman|
IKA & BYM
© 2023 Crippled Dick Hot Wax! | All prices incl. VAT | Imprint | Datenschutz | Deutsch