From the vaults of sound engineer jeff nieckau: rough beats from peru & trinidad 72-76
Who would imagine that hidden behind the exotic and sought after band Bossa 70 stands a sound engineer from Germany? His name is Gerhard Nieckau, nickname Jeff.
In the early 60s he went to Africa, later to Peru and Trinidad to explore unknown musical territory , to record music and to fit studios. His trademark is a simple recording technique without frills, resulting in a pure, almost raw sound.
All compiled pearls were found in his private archiv, most of them published for the first time in Europe.
The wide range reaches from Calypso to Funk, from Jazz to Roots Beats. Amongst the uncompromisingly devoted version of Aretha Franklins THINK and Baden Powells BIRIMBAO by BOSSA 70, Lou Donaldsons CATERPILLA and Fela Kutis BLACK MANS CRY interpreted by THE GAY FLAMINGOES STEEL BAND.
World music as well as rare groove fans will be surprised how diverse, modern and powerfully danceable this kind of music can be and how refreshing the influence of traditional music styles.
Please visit our Jeff Recordings Microsite
cdhw084 | cd
01. Intro Jeff / ...screwing
02. Bossa 70 / Birimbao
03. Lancelot Layne / Yo Tink It Sorf ?
04. Gay Flamingoes Steelband / Caterpilla
05. Lord Shorty / Endless Vibrations
06. Mansa Musa / Nothing For Nothing
07. Andre Tanker / Round And Round
08. Clive Zanda / Chip Down
09. Bossa 70 / Get Out Of My Way
10. Mike Boothman / Diego Shuffle
11. Mansa Musa / Beat The Drum
12. Wild Fire / Check It Out
13. Gay Flamingoes Steelband / Black Man´s Cry
14. Bossa 70 / Think
15. Andre Tanker / Carapachaima
16. Playing a joke on Jeff
|Digipak incl. Booklet|